Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lean on Me

So back in late May early June I was going through some shit, nothing major just reassessing some life matters and I was super emotional. I hate not even being drunk and feeling the tears creeping up in my throat and . . . well, you can imagine.

I made this point around that time. Being there for people IS what helps us stay strong.

Heart-breaking news all around yesterday.

1. Found out a co-worker's 6 week old grand-daughter had passed away.
2. Another co-workers 20-something year old cousin was in a horrible car accident and most likely going to die.
3. Got home to find my mother on the phone learning of an elderly relative's passing.

I work in a VERY diverse place. There are so many beautiful cultures. It sounds like a morbid subject but with so much death going on lately in our workplace, talking about funerals yesterday made sense. One woman from Nigeria talked about how depending on the person's age, funerals and wakes were very different, with very different rituals. If a baby died, only a simple, quiet funeral was held. If an elderly person died, several days would be devoted to celebrating the life and accomplishments of that person before and after the actual burial. If a person was cut down in the prime of their life (especially a teenager) oftentimes months were devoted to grieving.

On a side note, I'm not by any means religious, but when I happen to have the same lunch/dinner break as this woman I always say "Grace" with her. I figure two things, 1. My ancestors forced Christianity upon hers and B. I am grateful for the food I'm about to eat so . . . I never feel like a hypocrite when I pray with her.

On the whole God thing, I've prayed to him before and I'm not sure if he was listening. But he can disregard all my other requests if he just lets an early Christmas miracle happen. I'm not writing it down, cuz he's omnipotent. He should just know.

To that co-worker/friend who that prayer is for, this song is also for . . . thank you for being there.




And to the little boys who cry wolf and little girls who scream shark . . . beware, you might just get gobbled up.

No comments: