Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Paul Weiss: the Original Scenester

I fell in love with a fugly little Jewish man from New York about . . . 7 years ago, and our affair has not ended. I think if Prof. Paul Weiss knew that in college campuses and house parties across the nation he would be deemed the ever so demonized, "scenester" he would get a good chuckle. Paul Weiss integrated himself into particular "scenes," most notably the one of the "creator" or "artist," in order to better understand the roles played out in those scenes. Method-philosophisizing. He wasn't doing it to be a dick or to prove any particular theory. He simply wanted understanding.

He would probably be a poser about being a scenester . . . woah, my head just exploded a little. I've never considered it to be a problem that I like a lot of different things. Nor have I ever felt a need to justify liking different things.

I will take the time to justify one of my loves: poetry.

Simply stated (though I could argue with my fancy schmancy training in Formal and Informal Logic) if you like music, then you like poetry. Please don't make me break it down for y'all.

::folds arms with a defiant head nod:: So there, you closeted Beatnik, you. Don't have a cow, man!

3 Cheers for JSTOR!!!!!!

No comments: