Sunday, April 12, 2009

Never is a promise

I don't think it should take a 300 level Modern Philosophy class for people to realize the definition of "forever" as beyond our comprehension. Its synonyms hold about as much meaning "infinitely" "always" "eternally" "everlasting" . . . etc. These word embody the impossibility of grasping such a notion, any attempted definitions are circular.

In the movie, Mirage, some crazy shit goes down. David Stillwell (Gregory Peck) has a crazy bout of amnesia. An old girlfriend, Shelia (Diane Baker) is claiming to help him, while in a bit of a jam herself. They share a moment on the couch where Shelia is explaining why the two split, as David can't even remember them being together.
Shelia: You wanted togetherness. I wanted forever.

It's not that I'm scared about death (To die would be an awfully big adventure--- James M. Barrie and Parting is all we know of Heaven and all we need of Hell--- Emily Dickinson). What I'm scared of is not living everyday, getting caught up in the everyday circus of being someone I'm not. Ergo, therefore, in closing, what I'm scared of is . . . what if all we have is togetherness, what if all we have is tonight. Oh what a night.

I'll never understand forever. Doesn't mean I don't pray to God it exists.

No comments: