Thursday, December 24, 2009

Well maybe something else

I wonder how long we can go without inspiration and connection. Isn't that why so many people surf the chat rooms and forums of the internet, looking for something that's lacking in their lives? I've been working with a refugee from Africa. Her French and 5 other languages that she knows is in incredible. She's working on English. My French should be better. We're muddling through. We seemingly only talk about superficial things, it's hard to have deep conversations when the chance for mis-communication is so great, but we still manage to confide in each other in different ways. In facial expressions, body language, etc. Sometimes the perfectly timed pause speaks volumes.

I see how frustrated she gets when she can't express herself as well as she wants to . . . she's so embarrassed about her English, so much so, I try to speak with her in French so she can see how comparatively bad I am. I wish I could get across that I understand how it feels to not be able to express yourself for no other reason than you don't know how. The frustration, the internal anger, the hurt, the loneliness . . . the despair. To these and many more, no one is a stranger.




Hallelujah

No comments: