Saturday, November 21, 2009

Stolen Car

So last night while I was getting ready for work my mother was downstairs watching one of her favorites, Cold Case. I'll admit that as far as cop dramas go, Cold Case has the BEST music. Last night the whole episode's soundtrack was composed of Bruce Springsteen songs. Amen. Most people are introduced to Bruce by their Pops. My father wasn't quite into him, but two of my uncles were. They would sit around with each other during almost every family function and argue which version of Soul Driver was better (I'd have to go with Uncle Chip on that one, unplugged all the way). During my first big girl sleep over, no adult chaperon, when I was about 13, we played some board game version of Wheel of Fortune. I don't normally win anything . . . ever . . . but I remember winning that game because I solved for Bruce Springsteen with only the

B_ _ _ E _ P_ _ N_ _ _ E E N

None of my friends even knew who that was and all they could ask was how I knew that. All I can remember thinking was "How could you guys NOT know who that was?"

In an earlier post I said that Springsteen's Nebraska was one album listenable the whole way through, but in last night's episode of Cold Case they threw in Stolen Car. I would argue to the death the Tracks version of that song was better than The River's. More hope. We could always use more hope even if the fear is still there.




So this Saturday Night Lullaby is dedicated to Uncle Chip and Uncle Donald. I'll be thinking of you guys this holiday season.

No comments: