Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rambling II

My first grade teacher Miss Bolden taught me about "sins."

She described them as marks on our souls, that even if no one else knew about them, even if we ourselves forgot about them, on the day we died God would be able to see these marks.

I imagined something like a papyrus scroll inside my chest. I had nightmares about God pulling it out at the Pearly White gates and shaking his head.

I imagined them hurting as they were etched onto that scroll, as if the scroll were a living part of me.

Then she started listing what the church considered sins and as I got older I learned about even more.

I don't know if there's any truth to this. But I do know that I've felt pain in my soul before and I wonder what my scroll looks like nowadays.

No comments: